Monday, February 6, 2012

Tool #10 - Underneath it All - Digital Citizenship


1. Discuss at least three things you would want to make sure your students understand about being good digital citizens.

I want to be sure students understand the importance of keeping your passwords private and specially coded so that only they have access to them. Students share passwords freely and I would like them to be aware of not giving them away to all of their friends.  I would also like them to become ethical users and use caution when they are communicating with others, so that their word choice is in check. I would also like them to understand that written documents, Facebook information, emails, etc can be used in a legal matter as evidence, so it is important to always be careful to be a good digital citizen.
2. Share at least one of the resources mentioned above or on the Ed Tech website that you plan to use instructionally.

I plan to use the Digizen 9-12 grade resource. This Digizen website provides videos and other information that can instruct my students with digital citizenship knowledge and foster awareness of what it means to be a responsible user of technology. I also have done many Atomic Learning sessions and believe this resource is another great tool to use.

3. Explain briefly how you would "teach" the idea of digital citizenship to your students.
I will begin teaching the idea of digital citizenship on the first day of school when students are given the SBISD Student Handbook and asked to sign that they have read it. One of the pages that they are saying they read is the Acceptable Use Policy which tells them how they should behave and what rights and responsibilities they have when using technology. I have a lab with computers, so this would be a great way to start teaching the idea. I can check their understanding throughout the year as situations come up when they are using the computers. I can incorporate lessons on digital etiquette and teach them about being cautious when using social networks.

4. Explain briefly how you plan to share the idea of digital citizenship with your parents.


I will initially share the idea with my parents on "Back to School" night and let them know that I also instructed their children about having good digital citizenship. I also will refer them to the Digizen website (www.digizen.org) using the "parent" option on that page to further clarify concepts such as issues with social networking and cyberbullying, so they can talk to their children about it for reinforcement as a community working together for a common goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment