Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Tool #5 - Producing with Web 2.0 Tools

Assignment:
  1. Use at least two of the tools above to create products. Think about your content. Create a “set” for one of your lessons! Or, consider providing the site as a choice for your students to create products. Make a model for a student created product.
I explored the various tools that were offered. I created a Wordle in Word Cloud Generator for my Money Matters class. We use word banks each week for the vocab and this is a fun way to get the students involved in learning the new words.

The other tool that I worked with for awhile was the Glogster EDU. I created and published an Academy of Finance poster for the seniors MHS NYC trip in Feb of this year. This is a nice tool to communicate important events or upcoming projects in an interactive way with students. This is a step-up in technology from communicating using bulky, old-fashioned poster boards!


2. Then, embed both products in your blog or link to the products from your blog.
I followed the video clips and tried to link them to my blog. After I created the Wordle with my vocab, Google Chrome gave an error "Java plug in is out-of-date". Maybe there is a conflict because I have a special Java version installed for my Computer Science Java class. I created my first Glogster poster and saved it successfully. Then, I created a second poster and published it as the video showed, but it never brought me to the point of showing it on my dashboard. It is a very stormy day today and many buildings are without power, so I am thankful that at least I know how to save the Web 2.0 tools to my blog and can work on the logistics of what went wrong later.


3. Describe for your readers how you think each tool can be incorporated into your classroom - how you could see the tool being used by you instructionally and your students to demonstrate their understanding of a concept or topic in your classroom.
There are lots of valuable Web 2.0 tools available to teachers and students. Besides the Word Cloud Generator & the Glogster EDU, the Make Belief Comix and Animoto video are exciting tools that make sometimes dry classroom material come-alive so to speak. For example, I love learning Algebra formulas and solving problems, however, after teaching Algebra last year, I know first-hand that lots of students do not understand all topics in such a format as presented in the textbook. These tools allow a different way of explaining a complex topic in a technologically-fun way!

No comments:

Post a Comment