Friday, January 13, 2012

Tool #2: Building Community in the Online Environment

I visited more than 5 blogs of my fellow educators here at MHS. Loved Mr. Haynes' pictures on his blog.  
Was amazed that some teachers have already finished through Tool #11. I visited Statford HS and Spring Woods HS to check out the blogs of the Academy of Finance teachers. Some schools haven't started blogging the Tools - Guthrie and Northbrook HS to name a couple. It will be neat when they have a blogspot and we can share thoughts.


I posted a comment to Tool #2 on Terri McLaughlin's blog about her observation on the wealth of information that you can obtain by visiting other blogs. It was a great experience to be able to build and participate in an online community as well as the PLN.


What points stood out to you from the commenting advice? 
One point about reading and listening to this tool's commenting advice was to encourage others to comment on your post. You need to let them know that you would like feedback and they will respond.


Were you able to apply any of the advice in your comments? 
Yes, I was able to "leave my footprint" by commenting on an educator's blog as the advice suggested.


How did you feel about sharing your thoughts publicly? 
I'm a face-to-face person, but I can see the benefits of sharing common subject areas publicly.


Was it different than when you're sharing your successes/challenges with your teammate?
It was different because you do not get immediate feedback as we do when we share with our teammates.

1 comment:

  1. I'm right there with you on the face-to-face thing. And I agree that some forums really work well, even better, with the online format. Great reflection and comments!

    ReplyDelete